Report- Legal Literacy Camp+
On 2 March, 2019 the students of B.A. (H) Political Science, Semester II, Graphic Era deemed to be University and the students of the School of Law, Graphic Era Hill University attended the Legal Literacy Camp organized by the District Legal Services Authority, Dehradun. The camp was organized in the District and Sessions Court, Dehradun with the aim to make the students aware about the various laws regarding issues that impact the society in general and young adults in particular.
The District Legal Services Authority is committed to provide legal aid and services to the weaker sections of the society and ensure that justice reaches everyone irrespective of socio-economic barriers. The Legal Literacy Camps organized by the DSLA are a step towards this direction.
The Legal Literacy Camp not only proved informative for the students but also gave them a first-hand experience about the workplace and positions that they would occupy in the future as impactful leaders and competent professionals.
Workshop on ‘Emotions and Me’ BY Dr. Linthoi Akoijam+
School of Humanities and Social Sciences conducted a workshop titled ‘Emotions and Me’ on 31st January 2019. The Resource person for the program was Dr. Linthoi Akoijam; she is MPhil and Ph.D. in clinical psychology from NIMHANS Bangalore.PG Diploma in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy from the United Kingdom, Mindfulness Educator, and the USA. Her experience includes
“Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it” these lines by Charles R. Swindoll highlights the major agenda of the workshop. The workshop was highly interactive and motivating for the students and faculty members which focused on Emotions and being aware of your own emotions. Dr. Linthoi explained how the rational State is achieved when thought and thinking are involved without much emotional disquiet. She also suggested how vulnerability makes us less emotionally resilient and suggested a few ways to overcome them.
The workshop ended with these lines by Abraham Lincoln in a letter to his son’s teacher
Where he mentioned, “Teach him if you can – how to laugh when he is sad, teach him there is no shame in tears”.Prof. Raj K Dhar, Head of Department of Humanities and Social Sciences felicitated Dr. Linthoi Akoijam with the memento as the token of gratitude.
All the students, faculty and staff members were present to witness the event. To sum up, it was a well-thought-out workshop for providing insights to the student and faculty members.
School of Humanities and Social Sciences conducted a workshop titled ‘Bio-psychosocial Model of Health and Well-being’ on 30 January, 2019. The Resource person for the program was Dr. Geeta Khanna, MD Pediatrics. She is Medical Director and HOD Pediatrics in KMC Hospital. She also visiting consultant at CMI Hospital, as senior consultant. She is the President of NGO SAMARPAN, working for adolescents’ health and wellbeing which operates a national helpline 181 for women of Uttarakhand.
A one day workshop was highly interactive and motivating for the students and faculty members which focused on mental health and well-being .She divulged that Community also contributes to mental well-being of an individual. She stated that bio-psychosocial perspective is more appropriate when analyzing the causes of mental illness. She highlighted that biological psychological and social determinants affects the mental health and connects the outside world to one’s biology and psyche.
The workshop ended with vote of thanks. Prof. Raj K Dhar, Head of Department of Humanities and Social Sciences felicitated Dr Geeta Khanna with the memento as the token of gratitude.
All the students, faculty and staff members were present to witness the event. To sum up, it was a well thought-out workshop for providing insights to the student and faculty members.
PANIIT International Management Conference 2018+
Faculty members and students of Humanities and Social Sciences participated in PANIIT International Management Conference 2018,which was held at Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee from 30 November - 2 December, 2018. It aimed at bringing academicians and practitioners on one platform to turn the spotlight on current and future advance in business management, administration, and economics. The conference was organized in association with NAPSIPAG and Sheffield Hallam University, UK. Prof Nigel Garrow, HoD (Finance, Accounting and Business Systems ( Sheffield Hallam University, UK and Prof G. Raghuram, Director IIM Bangalore graced the event by their presence.
Following are the details of paper presented at the Conference:
Dr Anugrah Rohini Lall (Asst.Prof) and Ms Gunjan Singh(Asst.Prof) presented a paper titled ‘Psychological factors that determine Investors’Decision-making towards Financial Avenues: A Study in Dehradun.
Ms Asmita Thapa (Student,Final year, BA Psychology (H) and Ms Gunjan Singh(Asst.Prof) presented a paper titled ‘Resillience, Personal Growth Initiative and Employees productivity at Workplace’.
Ms. Reeya Singh (Student,Final Year,B.Com (H)and Ms Gunjan Singh(Asst.Prof) presented a paper titled ‘The Psychological Impact of Advertising Exhibiting Objectification,Manipulation and Confinement of women.’
The conference witnessed the huge amount of participation from all over India.
International Conference on Cognitive Behavioural Interventions (ICCBI)+
Students of Psychology presented research papers at International Conference on Cognitive Behavioural Interventions (ICCBI)
The students of BA Psychology (Hons) of Department of Humanities and Social Sciences at Graphic Era Deemed to be University, presented their research papers at an international conference organized by SGT University, Gurugram (Haryana) on 28-29 October, 2028. The theme of the Conference was “The rising burden of Psycho-Social Distress: Need for Trans-Disciplinary CBT Interventions.” The conference was attended by many national and international delegates.
The students who presented their research papers under the guidance of Ms. Gunjan Singh, University Psychologist & Assistant Professor, Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, are Sanya Mittal, Jayshree Bhatt, Deepali Aggarwal, Shubhangini Dimri, Disha and Sharma. The participants of the conference had an opportunity to present their papers and put forward their views on the effective use of CBT as a treatment for various disorders. Following are the topics of the papers presented by students of Psychology:
1. Impact of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy in treating Bipolar Disorder(Jayshree Bhatt & Ms. Gunjan Singh)
2. Impact of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy in treating Social Anxiety Disorder(Sanya Mittal & Ms. Gunjan Singh)
3. Impact of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy in treating OCD(Deepali Aggarwal & Ms. Gunjan Singh)
4. Impact of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy in treating Schizophrenia(Disha Sharma & Ms. Gunjan Singh)
5. Impact of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy in treating Voyeuristic Disorder(Shubangini Dimri & Ms. Gunjan Singh)
The participants were awarded certificate of participation and presentation separately.
International Conference and Scientific Meeting on Stress in the Military Profession+
On the occasion of celebrating the 70th anniversary of military psychology in Serbia, a two-day international scientific conference "Stress in the Military Profession – Achievements and Perspectives" was opened today at the Serbian Army House, organized by the Strategic Research Institute of the University of Defence. Miss Gunjan Singh, University Psychologist/Assistant Professor, Department of Humanity and Social Sciences, was invited to attend the military conference. There were eminent military psychology experts present from a large number of countries, India, Canada, South Africa, Estonia, Great Britain, Croatia, Slovenia and Serbia is also an important part of this event.
On behalf of the host of the event, the director of the Strategic Research Institute, prof. Dr. Jovanka Šaranović, pointed out that the Institute is a research organization that deals with interdisciplinary research in various fields of social and humanistic sciences. Through his thirty-four-year work, among other things, it also deals with psychological topics: the value system and attitudes of the members of the Defence system on the reform of military organization, organizational culture, the engagement of women in the military profession, as well as the psychological factors of the family and social context of the selection of the military profession, education and work in the military system and success factors in the military profession.
After the director, participants were addressed by Rector of the University of Defence, Major General Assistant Professor Goran Radovanovic, who pointed out the importance of educating all members of the Defence system on topics in the field of military psychology. The international conference was officially opened by State Secretary Aleksandar Zivkovic who pointed out that the military profession requires more of an employee, as is the case in other professions. The first day of the conference was about the psychoanalytic theory of trauma and its application in the military environment, war neuroses and consequences of war, military and civil ego, and the stress of employees in foreign military armies.
In the introductory lecture prof. Dr. Gideon Van Djuk from the University of South Africa's Stellenbosch School of Military Sciences spoke about stress and his treatment in a challenging profession such as military, about the challenge of a psychologist in changing the nature of warfare to minimize stress. Within the framework of today's meeting, a psychological workshop was held in the performance of Lieutenant Colonel prof. Dr. Jacques J. Gouws from Canada on the topic: Differentiation of combat stress, posttraumatic stress and traumatic stress of a person with disabilities.
After that Ms. Gunjan Singh from Graphic Era Deemed to be university presented her paper on the topic, “A study of Locus of Control and Self Esteem amongst Military Cadets”. She highlighted the importance of building internal locus of control and high self-esteem in the cadets.
Among the participants, besides professors and exhibitors from foreign universities, there were military psychologists of the Ministry of Defence and the Serbian Army Forces, psychologists of the Ministry of Internal Affairs, the cadets of the Military Academy and the Medical Faculty of the VMA, as well as many participants who were interested in today's topic.
The conference was divided into two panels on both days, and for the completion of tomorrow's work, the promotion of the thematic collection with 19 scientific papers, 32 authors, "Stress in the military profession", published by the Institute for Strategic Research at the University of Defence and the Faculty of Military Sciences, Stelenboš University of the South African Republic, was envisaged.
Events such as these also encourages the students to represent the university at international level, also creating number of new opportunities for them.
Composition resource[Online]: http://www.isi.mod.gov.rs/eng/350/medjunarodni-naucni-skup-stres-u-vojnoj-profesiji-dostignuca-i-perspektive-350
World Mental Health Day 2018+
School of Humanities and Social Sciences observed World Mental Health Day on 10 October . On this occasion workshop on ‘Mental Health Issues and its Preventions was organized.
The expert speakers were Dr. Gurbeer Dullet , Rehabilitation Psychologist on mental health issues and its interventions . She talked about optimism, resilience, virtue of humanity and happiness. She had an intensive interactive session with the students on issues of mental health. The second expert was Dr. Pratibha Sharma, Clinical Psychologist, Doon Therapeutic Centre. She spoke about emotional traumas that youth undergo and how it can lead to serious mental health issues if these problems are not addressed on time. She suggested psychological interventions to problems like anxiety, depression etc. She answered many queries that of the students
Many, activities based on values , strength and compassion were also organized by the department. They were conducted by Dr. Kanchan Yadav . Students of Psychology department presented a Nukkad Natak on mental health issues to create awareness, which attracted a massive audience who gave positive feedbacks.
The program ended with the vote of thanks by Prof. Raj Dhar, HOD.
FRESHERS’ PARTY 2018+
On 11 August 2018, Humanities and Social Sciences organised a splendid freshers’ party for the first year students of BA Economics (H), BA Psychology (H) and BA Political Science(H) . The senior students put up an entertaining cultural show and organized fun activities .
The event began with Ramp Walk by first year students which was followed by Talent Hunt .Senior students also showcased their skills through dance ,songs and poetry.
Title of ‘Mr and Ms. Fresher’, ‘Mr and Ms. Talent’ and ‘Spark of the Evening’ was given which was followed by cake cutting ceremony and distribution of snacks.
The program also had DJ playing popular songs fresher was infused with the feeling of pride and enthusiasm.
The following students received the titles:
Mr Fresher : Abu Seher, BA Economics (H) 1 Year
Ms. Fresher : Rupam, BA Political Science (H) 1 Year
Mr Talent : Shudhanshu Negi, BA Psychology (H) 1 Year
Ms Talent: Nitya Arora , BA Psychology (H) 1 Year
Spark of the Evening: Nishant Chaudhary
- On July 14, 2017 an expert lecture on “Stress Management” by Prof Sooraj Kala from Pt. NRS Government College Rohtak was organized for students to make them understand how they can prevent getting stressed and how they can overcome this.
- On July 15, 2017 Prof (Dr) Sonia Malik from Maharshi Dayanand University, Rohtak delivered talk on “Mind Body Relationship. The objective was to make the students understand how meditation , living a peaceful life was possible even in a hectic urban life.
- July 24, 2017 Expert session on ‘Special Children and their Food’ by Mrs Saswati Singh, Founder Trustee (Nav Prerna Foundation) was organized by the department to sensitize the students towards the needs of specially enabled children.
- July 25, 2017 The department organized Team Management Training with Ms Aditi Sharma (Director- Leading Edge, India)
And Expert Talk by CA Anurag Sangal, Director- Leap Foundation
- 18 August, 2017 University organized the Swacchata Abhiyaan of the University. And our students , Shubham, Gargi, Chhavi, Ayushi, Priyanshi, Surbhi Lohani, Ujjawal, & Kajal participated in the movement.
- 20 August, 2017 : ACT FOR INDIA- an NGO Organized a talk on Indo- China stand-off at Doklam and terrorism in J&K . The talk was delivered by the Major General (Rtd.) O.P Bakshi and Shri Sushil Pandit held at Wadia Institute of Himalayan Geology. The students of the department attended the talk and interacted with experts.
- On 5 September, 2017 guest lecture on “Emotional Intelligence” by Mr. Harshit Sehdev, Founder and Director of Tvam, India was organized for the students to enable them to assess their emotional intelligence.
- 27th October, 2017 a Seminar on Drug Addiction and Fire Safety was organized. All the students of the department participated enthusiastically in the seminar.
- 2nd November 2017 a Workshop on ‘emotional intelligence’ was organized, all the students of department participated enthusiastically in the workshop.
- 9 September, 2017 Tug –of- war the team of Humanities and Social Sciences secured second position out of 23 teams in the competition. The team consisted of Priyanshi Barmola, Taru, Neetika, Saurabh Mathpal, Abhishek, Aakash Pant, Keshav Gupta, Prateek Kandari, Rahul Kharb.
- Basketball Championship- From 8th to 13TH September 2017 basketball matches were organized in the University wherein Ms Taru and Charu of BA Economics (H) were the part of a the team and stood 3rd.
- The Marathon-‘Run for unity’- On 31st October 2017, all the students of the department along with other participants from the university ran for unity on the birth anniversary of Iron Man- of India , Late Sardar Ballabh Bhai Patel.
National Debate/National Summit+
- Participation in National DEBATE. Two students of the department, Priyanshi Barmola, and Anjali Verma of BA Economics (Hons.), Semester I & Anshuman Jaguri of BA Psychology (Hons.), Semester I participated in the National debate organized on “can corruption be wiped from India?” on 3November 2017 by Sardar Bhagwan Singh Post Graduate Institute of Biomedical Science and Research.
- The students of Economics and Psychology participated in National Summit on "Digital Judiciary-Smart Solutions" organized by Graphic Era Hill University in association with CSI, IE(India).
- Gokul Society for Handicaps, Dehradun on 5 November 2017. Twenty students from the department participated and worked as volunteers for Gokul society for handicaps.
- Blood Donation Camp on 14th November 2017 was organized at the university and studenst of SHuSS participated and donated their blood to save lives of people.
Industry visits/Live Projects/Industry Interface and Interaction+
- Sponsored International Internship at Hochschula Fulda University, German: Pinky Tomar .
- Internship with Synergy Hospital, Dehradun- Ms Yoshita Bhargava
- Internship with Max Specialty Hospital, Dehradun- Ms Pinky Tomar
- Internship with Nester Educational Society, Dehradun.-Ms Richita Jakhwal and Ms Sakshi Negi.
- Internship with Cheshire home and Raphael Home, Dhradun- Ms Apoorva Singh
- Internship with SHPS, Hardwar- Ms Jahanvi and Ms Vanshika Mittal.
- Internship at Aasara Trust (An NGO)-Ms Asmita, Ms Pinky, Ms Yoshita, Ms Sakshi, Ms Richita.
- Live Project- Field Survey work for Aasara Trust (An NGO): November-December 2017.- Ms Richita Jakhwal, Ms Sakshi Negi, Ms Apoorva Singh, Ms Prerna and Ms Vaidehi.
- Internship at Aasara Trust (An NGO)
- Anveshan 2017- Students Research Convention (NZ) sponsored by AIU, New Delhi.
- 10 students of BA Economics(Hons) II& IV Sem and two students of BA Psychology(Hons) have been selected to undertake their Summer internship in Lok Sabha- Secretariat , New Delhi.
International Conference and Publication by the students+
- Jakhwal, R., Negi, S. & Garg, J. (2017) Women Participation and the Work Conditions in the hotel industry of Dehradun city. Trends, Issues and Women in Hospitality and Tourism industry Proceedings of The International Conference on Hospitality and Tourism (pp. 113-126). Dehradun, India: Graphic Era Deemed to be University.
- Ten students of BA Psychology (H) participated in the International Conference on Neurosciences and Buddhism Psychology on 4th-5th November 2017 Organised by Tibet House, Cultural Center for His Holiness - The Dalai Lama, New Delhi.
- Ms Prerna Gosain research paper selected for Eleventh International Conference On Healthcare Systems and Global Business Issues at IMS Unison University on January 2-3, 2018 - Dehradun, India.
- Ms Richita Jakhwal’s paper has been sent for a book chapter for Manakin Press (An international Publisher) Book edited by Professor of Banaras Hindu University, India.
- Ms Pinky and Ms Asmita’s paper has been sent for a book chapter for Manakin Press (An international Publisher) Book edited by a Professor of Banaras Hindu University, India.
Dr. Raj K. Dhar+
- An experienced teacher with 32 years of teaching experience at graduate level.
- Assisted in the development of course curriculum for H.N.B. Garhwal(Central) University for BA.LL.B course in 2002 when this program was introduced by the University
- Member of Board of Study of Uttarakhand Technical University, for Technical Communication.
- Examiner for Professional Communication for Uttarakhnad Technical University from 2008-2013
- Customized and contributed the original content for Seven Books for Pearson Publishers, Noida.
- 4 books already used as Reference books in Uttarakhand Technical University, Chhattisgarh and U.P.Tech for Technical Communication and Professional Communication Skills.
- Authored a novel “From the Pages of a Diary” published by Partridge Publishers; a subsidiary of Penguin publishers
- Second novel “Norrie My Friend in Turbulent Times” under print
- Have written 10 prospectuses, hand fliers and composed various advertisements for the organization working with, besides writing the content for their websites and updating it regularly and also writing content for University Face book page on daily basis. Editor of the University annual Magazine “In Touch In Tune”
- Was the founder and later the editor of “Samvaad” the monthly news letter of Uttarakhand Technical University from 2008-11.
- I have also worked on the project of Wild Life Institute Dehradun which involved translating the research papers form English into Hindi and vice- versa
- Vice- president of CBED, an NGO working for the women empowerment and skill generation among the rural people
- I was also an elected member of Dehradun Municipal Committee 1997 Board and was elected Senior Vice- President of the same.
Ongoing Research Projects
Two research projects in association with CBED(Centre for Business and Entrepreneurship Development) a , Dehradun based NGO submitted for approval and funding ;
- Impacts of climate change on the apple based economy and regional livelihood pattern in Central Himalayan Region.
- Coping with change : Enhancing Rural Resilience to Climate Change in Uttarakhand , Through Capacity Building.
Duration of Project
Conference & Seminar Attended
Any other Information such as Ph.D/M.Tech thesis guided
Dr. Anugrah R. Lall+
Journal Publication: 02
- Published one Book titled “Basic Technical Communication” (2009).PB, ISBN: 9788175967663.
- Revised and edited book titled “Basic Technical Communication” (2010), (2011).
Paper Presentation: 02
FDP/Workshop Attended: 05
Dr. Sakshita Anand+
International: 4 National: 4
Book Chapter Published: 2
Paper Presentations in National
and International Conferences
Conference / Seminar/
Dr. Kanchan Yadav+
Journal Publication 11 articles published in various journals
Conference & Seminar Attended
Attended and presented papers in 05 conferences/seminars
FDP/Workshop Attended: 4
Miss Gunjan Singh+
|Conference & Seminar Attended 4|
FDP/Workshop Attended 2
Miss Akansha Rawat+
1. Research Assistant- D.B.S. College, Dehradun, in two Statistical Strengthening projects:
[I] Project Title: A Study on possibilities of alternative livelihood activities and utilization of available amenities post 2013 disaster: A case of Uttarkashi district of Uttarkashi.
[II] Project Title: Learning outcome of school education on estimation of primary and upper primary schools of Rudraprayag district of Uttarakhand.
2. Assisted the World Bank team in a health evaluation program titled ‘“Field Research and Geo- Spatial Mapping of Health Facilities in Uttarakhand” by DÉCOR Consultant Company.
3. Researcher in an Indian Council for Social Science Research (ICSSR), Delhi research project titled, “Direct and Indirect Loss Estimation of the 2013 Uttarakhand Disaster-A study of the four affected districts.
Book Chapter Published: 01
Conference / Seminar/
Workshop Attended: 05
Induction Ceremony 2018+
Four Day Induction ceremony School of Humanities and Social Sciences commences
The Induction program of the freshers of BA Economics(H) , BA Psychology(H) and BA Political(H) began on 1August. The Induction program was inaugurated by the Pro Vice Chancellor Prof . V.Nagarajan and the Head of the department Prof RajK.Dhar, with the lighting of the lamp . The first day was an intellectual session where the students had the opportunities to interact with dignitaries.
Prof Raj K.Dhar welcomed the students. Highlighting the salient features of the study programs the students had chosen , she talked about the various resources available to the students at the University , to enrich their lives. Prof. Nagarajan enlightened the students about importance of Personality Development and ethical practices. He urged the students to make best use of their time in the University. Another dignitary Professor MP Singh, Head HR Department and Professor in the Department of Mangement , spoke about the future prospects for students and motivated them to develop clarity regarding their Career Choices . He shared instances from his life to motivate the students. Mr Suchit Arora Assistant Professor, Department of Management Studies and Officer in charge of International affairs informed the students about the opportunities to study abroad, offered by Graphic Era Deemed University.
In the second session the students participated in Fun /Learning Activities like; Mystery Box and AD MAD BAG The activities were useful to provide them a platform to gain confidence and speak. Thereafter , an interactive session on Mental Health and Well Being was conducted by Mrs Rashi Bhatnagar, Project Manager, Latika Roy Foundation. She practised some interesting exercises and activities.
The Second day of Induction Program
The Second day of Induction ceremony in the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences began with Interactive Session on Career Prospects in Public Sector by Dr Manoj Pant, Joint Director, Directorate of Planning and Economic Strategy Uttarakhand state. Dr Pant discussed with the students various career prospects available to them in public as well as private sectors. The session ended with question- answer session.
This was followed by an Interactive Session with Dr .Pratibha Sharma , a well known Clinical Psychologist. The session was highly motivating and interactive where we learned the basics of inner mind capability. She explained the causes of Stress management and solutions to the problem. Her session concluded with Question - Answer session.
In the post lunch session , theme based Poster making competition was held for the freshers, in which all students participated to showcase their creative abilities. It was fun and learning activities where they learnt team work and to express their ideas through drawing and sketching.
All the faculty and staff members of the department were present to witness the event.
Students Learn How to Build Multiple Intelligence from Experts on Third Day of Induction
On third day of Induction program of the Department of Humanities and Social Science the students witnessed the presentation made by Mr Rakesh Meet on ‘Multiple Intelligence’. He taught the students various ways of building their intelligence. The second expert Dr. Surendra Dhalwal, a Clinical Psychologist with NIVH did a session on ‘Rorschach Ink Blot Test’ by The test was conducted to find out various types of personalities. He further explained the usage of the test .
Post lunch, Fun activity Dumb Charades, was organised so that students would feel quite at ease in the new environment. Thereafter an interactive and activity based session on ‘Know Yourself ’ by Mr Anand (GEHU) was held which thoroughly engrossed the students’ attention. The students and faculty members gave their positive feedback on the effective session .