The career opportunities in the field could be
- Cloud Consultant
- Cloud Product Manager
- Cloud Developer
- Cloud Solution Architect
- Cloud Enterprise Architect
According to a Forbes review of an IDC report, sponsored by Microsoft, demand for “cloud-ready” IT workers will “grow by 26% annually through 2015. IDC expects that as many as 7 million new cloud-related jobs will be available worldwide by that time”. The IDC report says that “Unlike IT skill shortages in the past, solving this skills gap is extremely challenging, given that cloud brings a new set of skills, which haven’t been needed in the past.”
A perusal through recent job openings provides a glimpse of the new emerging class of professionals and managers who will make IT happen in the years ahead. Here are just a few job titles in this filed:
- Cloud Specialist: This professional will “provide expertise, design, engineering, troubleshooting of the cloud environment, collaborate with project managers and engineers to ensure cloud computing best practices are followed and applied.”
- Cloud Computing Architect: Serves a critical role to drive the architect/design and implementation for cloud-based solutions. Drive the architecture/design and implementation to migrate] to a cloud-based PaaS and SaaS product.
- Systems Engineer – Cloud Computing: “This individual will be a member of the system engineering team and will support an initiative to transition services to a cloud computing environment. The job will include developing the agency’s cloud computing strategy, cloud suitability assessment, and 3-5 year cloud computing plan for an environment that is comprised of programs that are safety.
- Lead Software Developer – Cloud Computing Focused: This position is a great opportunity for someone who is motivated by building high business value applications and working with smaller teams to directly influence company growth. You can use your technologies skills for designing and developing the next generation of software. Lead technological foray into cloud based platforms such as SalesForce.com, Azure, Google, & Amazon.
- Cloud Architect – Infrastructure: “This is a technical role where you will be working with key clients and prospects helping them architect proper cloud solutions. Prime responsibilities include designing and architecting innovative and practical cloud based solution for clients; defining and recommending the cloud adoption roadmap for clients; interacting at the client’s CIO/CTO levels and their architecture teams.”
- Cloud Alliance Manager: “Focuses on the overall, ongoing management of cloud computing service provider partnerships. This is done through the development and implementation of successful marketing programs unique to the specific cloud category, business units and
selling venues, supported by the development of competitive strategies relative to vendors, pricing, assortment and solutions.”
- Virtualization & Cloud Computing Subject Matter Expert: “Will support cloud computing strategy and roadmap development from a mission and technical perspective including identification of potential obstacles and solutions regarding the use of cloud computing in a client environment.”