Ragging - An Avoidable Crime
» Ragging - An Avoidable Crime
ANTI RAGGING INSTRUCTIONS
An anti ragging cell is formed to monitor and coordinate the anti ragging campaign and ensure that no incidence connected with ragging takes place inside and around Graphic Era University campus.
What Constitutes Ragging?
- UGC-Anti Ragging Regulation
- Ragging constitutes one or more of any of the following acts:
- Any conduct by any student whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness a fresher or any other student.
- Indulging in rowdy or undisciplined activities by any student or students which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship, physical or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in any fresher or any other student.
- Asking any student to do any act which such student will not in the ordinary course do and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame, or torment or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of such fresher or any other student.
- Any act by a senior student that prevents, disrupts or disturbs the regular academic activity of any other student or a fresher.
- Exploiting the services of a fresher or any other student for completing the academic tasks assigned to an individual or a group of students.
- Any act of financial extortion or forceful expenditure burden put on a fresher or any other student by students.
- Any act of physical abuse including all variants of it: sexual abuse, homosexual assaults, stripping, forcing obscene and lewd acts, gestures, causing bodily harm or any other danger to health or person.
- Any act or abuse by spoken words, emails, post, public insults which would also include deriving perverted pleasure, vicarious or sadistic thrill from actively or passively participating in the discomfiture to fresher or any other student.
- Any act that affects the mental health and self confidence of a fresher or any other student.
- With or without an intent to derive a sadistic pleasure or showing off power, authority or superiority by a student over any fresher or any other student.
- In these regulations unless the context otherwise requires:
- “Act” means, the University Grants Commission Act,1956(3 of 1956).
- “Academic year” means the period from the commencement of admission of students in any course of study in the institution up to the completion of academic requirements for that particular year.
- “Anti ragging help line” means the help line established under clause (a) of regulation 8.1 of these regulations.
- “Commission” means the University Grant Commission.
- “Council” means a body so constituted by an act of Parliament or an act of any State Legislature for setting, or coordinating or mailing standards in the relevant areas of higher education, such as the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), the Bar Council of India(BCI), the Dental Council of India(DCI),the Distance Education Council(DEC), the Medical Council of India (MCI), the National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE),the Pharmacy Council of India(PCI), etc. and the State Higher Education Councils.
- “District Level Anti-ragging Committee” means the committee headed by District Magistrate, constituted by the State government, for the control & Elimination of Ragging in Institution with in the jurisdiction of the district.
- “Head of the Institution” means the vice chancellor in case of a university or a deemed to be university, the principal or the director or such other designation as the executive head of the Institution or the college is referred.
- “Fresher” means a student who has been admitted to an Institution and who undergoing his /her first year of study in such Institution.
- “Institution” means a higher educational institution including, but not limited to an university, a deemed to be university, a college, an institute, an institution of national importance set up by an Act of Parliament or a constituent unit of such institution, imparting higher education beyond 12 years of schooling leading to, but not necessarily culminating in, a degree (graduate, postgraduate and/or higher level) and/or to a university diploma.
- “NAAC” means the National Academic and Accreditation Council established by the Commission under section 12(ccc) of the Act.
- “State Level Monitoring Cell” means the body constituted by the State Government for the control and elimination of ragging in institutions within the jurisdiction of the State, established under a State Law or on the advice of the Central Government, as the case may be.
- Words and expressions used and not defined herein but defined in the Act or in the General Clauses Act, 1897, shall have the meanings respectively assigned to them in the Act or in the General Clauses Act, 1897, as the case may be.
GEU Anti Ragging Block Timing
- Anti ragging activities will be undertaken round the clock, under the Squad block timings:
- 8:00 A.M. - 8:00 PM.
- 8:00 P.M. - 8 :00 AM
Reporting and Enquiry
The Head of the institution shall forthwith report the occurrence of the incident of ragging to the District Level Anti Ragging Committee.
Provided further that the University will also continue with its own enquiry initiated under UGC act of the Regulations and other measures without waiting for action on the part of the police/local authorities and such remedial action shall be initiated and completed immediately and in no case later than a period of 7 days of the reported occurrence of the incident of ragging.
Responsibilities Of Head Of Anti Ragging Committee at GEU
- On receipt of the recommendation of the Anti Ragging Squad or on receipt of any information concerning any reported incident of ragging, the Head of institution shall immediately determine if a case under the penal laws is made out and if so, either on his own or through a member of the Anti Ragging Committee authorized by him in this behalf, proceed to file a First Information Report (FIR), within 24 hours of receipt of such information or recommendation, with the police and local authorities, under the appropriate penal provisions relating to one or more of the following, namely:
- Abetment to ragging
- Criminal conspiracy to rag
- Unlawful assembly and rioting while ragging
- Public nuisance created during ragging
- Violation of decency and morals through ragging
- Injury to body, causing hurt or grievous hurt
- Wrongful restraint
- Wrongful confinement
- Use of criminal force
- Assault as well as sexual offences or unnatural offences
- Criminal trespass
- Offences against property
- Criminal intimidation
- Attempts to commit any or all of the above mentioned offences against the victim(s)
- Threat to commit any or all of the above mentioned offences against the victim(s)
- Physical or psychological humiliation
- other offences following from the definition of “Ragging”.
Responsibilities Of Squads Incharge of Anti Ragging Committee at GEU
- Squads Incharge will be Responsible for the following in their areas:
- They will form duty chart & carryout regular checks for any Ragging activity in their areas.
- They will carryout surprise checks in probable areas of ragging.
- In case of any incidence noticed on the spot, assessment of the incidence be made and necessary action to be taken and inform the control cell immediately in given Performa.
- Ensure anti ragging instructions are displayed at prominent places in their areas of control.
- Each squad incharge will make detailed duty plan in respect of his squad and forward a list copy of the same to the control room.
- Every squad incharge will brief all members of his squad about their duties / action regarding anti ragging.
- In case of inadequacy of the member detailed in their respective teams, they may float additional requirements to the incharge of anti ragging committee.
- All squads will forward a feedback report for the day at 8 :00 pm daily to the control as per the Performa.
- The squad incharge will collect the updated list of student including their latest address and phone no’s in respect of the classes run in their blocks of their areas.
- Any member of the squad not performing his duty properly will also be communicated to the control room as per the proforma given.
- Squad Incharge will maintain the proper duty attendance register in respect of the members of the squad and their duties.
- For communication with the incharge of anti ragging committee and control room following telephone no’s furnished at the end.
Duties of the patrolling squad at GEU
Two Teams will operate simultaneously.
One team from Gate No -1 to Gate No -2, Second Team from Gate No -2 to Gate No -1. This also includes perimeter roads around the university and private hostels/ Accommodations in near by areas.
Dr. Rajesh Kumar (9412382784) has been detailed as Incharge Anti Ragging Cell for all boys’ hostels, Separate instructions for the anti ragging activities will be issued by him.
Dr. Anamika Bhatia (9412558066) has been detailed as Incharge Anti Ragging Cell for all girls’ hostels; Separate instructions for the anti ragging activities will be issued by her.
Anti Ragging Control Room at GEU
| IMPORTANT TELEPHONE NUMBERS
| Phone no. 0135- 2642727, 3291534, 2644183, 2643420
| Ext No. of Anti Ragging Control Room- 234, 202
| Telephone no. core committee
| 1. Mr. S.C Sharma
| 2. Dr. M.P. Singh
| 3. Mr. Sushil Dimri
| 4. Mr. D. S. Rawat
| +Main Control Room
| Incharge: Mr Girish Lakhera -
| 1. Dr. Mangey Ram (Maths)
| 2. Mr Naveen Garg (CS)
| 3. Dr. Tribhuwan Chandra (Biotech)
| 4. Mr. Brijech Kumar (ECE)
| 5. Mr. Navneet Rawat(MBA)
| 6. Mr. Sanjay Nautiyal(MBA)
Precautionary Steps Against Ragging at GEU
Ragging, today has become an inevitable menace in most of the professional educational institutions. At GEU, we take a serious note of this unwanted weed and approach it with “velvet glove and iron fist”. We have taken various precautionary steps to keep the head of this serpent down and if ever it tries to raise its ugly head, we have iron fist and will to deal with it before it spew its venom on anyone. Here are the few steps, in place:-
- A team of counsel consisting of male and female staff has been formed under eminent qualified counselors.
- Their primary job starts in the evening when the academics finish and continues till the next morning till academics start.
- Their approach is not to wait till a new student complains about any incident, but is to interact with the students and get their pulse at all times.
- The counsel not only works against ragging by seniors, but also against the initial apprehensions about a subject, faculty, administrative staff etc.
- They are equally good and interactive with the senior students, thereby not isolating them as criminals, but allow them to gel with the new students in a family and elderly way.
- To quench the desires of senior students to get to know the junior students a formal interaction session is held for all the students where anything but indecency is the limit.
- A dynamic and vigilant team under Dean Engineering, Prof (Colonel) Rakesh Sharma has been formed, which will be the ever roving eyes and ears of the University looking out for offenders.
- As far as possible, we ask the day scholars to travel by GEU transport. Anti ragging staff are placed in all the student buses of GEU fleet.
- Anti-Ragging Helpline: 09897701573 - B.K Koul
- Anti-Ragging email id: email@example.com (anonymous emails with specifics are welcome)