About The Department
The undergraduate program in Economics at Graphic Era University has been designed to give the students a liberal and comprehensive education as a precursor to a highly challenging and rewarding career. Study of Economics concerns the wealth of nations, its origins in production and exchange, its allocation among competing uses, distribution among individuals and accumulation or decline. The students will learn to discern both the common features and the differences in the institutions by which societies throughout the world, today and in the past, have organized economic life. The approach is descriptive and analytical; many issues of national and international policy are considered; the focus is on social institutions and social outcomes rather than on individual economic performance.
Learning Outcomes of the Program in Economics:
- The study of Economics will create in the students subject specific skills, such as making well-informed decisions, as large part of the subject is about decision making; how to make maximum use of existing resources, how should the government minimize the budget deficit; what should a business do to raise profit margins and how to invest the money.
- Economics helps in developing financial awareness among the youth as well create an appreciation of the social, political, environmental and international issues. The things which happen daily around us have an important economic bearing; there is also the cultural value of the study of economics. In the modern age the economic planning is has become indispensable in optimum utilization of our natural resources.
- Economics has great intellectual value that is helpful in shaping social policy and financial markets and using statistical analysis.
- Study of Economics creates transferable skills; like presenting findings and explaining complex data; handling complex data and applying mathematical and statistical analysis methods; extracting information, drawing conclusions and making recommendations;
completing specific tasks within stipulated time frames; analyzing research methods, data, conclusions and recommendations.
- The course involves delivering knowledge and understanding of topics in micro-and macro-economic theory, at advanced level that helps the learners how to apply economic theory in a variety of contexts , specific knowledge of relevant mathematical, statistical and econometric methods and the ability to employ specific econometric software.; money and Finance and International Trade
- To gain subject knowledge, understanding and skills which are relevant to a variety of careers
- Economists and economics experts are at the heart of the business world and financial consulting, there are plethora of job opportunities both in the public and private sectors of the economy, available for them. They can work in wide range of areas such as logistics, buying, sales, marketing, analysts, Civil Service, , Research institutes and agencies.
- A large number of students opt for careers in banking sector, which offers them scope for high earnings and career advancement. They are also in high demand for the positions of financial controllers, financial planner, risk analysts, data analysts and consultancy.
- Economics graduates can also work in the field of accountancy, where they can focus on monitoring the financial situation of an organization, business or individual.
- They may also consider more options; human resource management, IT, journalism, law, market research, politics, public relations, social research and taxation. They could even become an entrepreneur and start their own entrepreneurship.