About The Department
The Department of Commerce was established under the aegis of School of Management Studies, with an aim to create a spectrum of main professional curriculum of B.Com (Hons) as well as numerous additional activities such as group learning, group interaction, experiences derived from in-house as well as outdoor field based workshops which are practical and on the job oriented modules. This combination is expected to create an environment such that a macroscopic learning bandwidth is created in creating a holistic approach towards the preparation of a raw student from an initio stage to hands on trained professional within a span of 36 months of duration of the course.
Such a concerted programme enables a student to be completely engrossed in indoor class curriculum as well as outdoor practical work, thereby creating an end product capable of being dovetailed as a productive asset in any form of employment. The stress here is not only to make a student employable but also to enhance their employability quotient which is in keeping with the overall vision of the university.
Department of Commerce is formed with an aim to be a place
- Where the search for knowledge complements sense of responsibility,
- Where understanding is coupled with the commitment,
- Where academic excellence goes with the cultivation of virtue.
B.Com (Honors) Program Highlights:
- Academic Excellence: The department strives to impart knowledge in the field of commerce with the prime purpose of achieving excellence in the quality of commerce environment. The department emphasis on self sufficiency, independent approach, out of box vision, having a capability of undertaking professional commitments in the field of commerce with fortified aptitude, creative thinking and corporate leadership.
- Life Skills: The department also in the course of training imparts adequate inputs such that a trainee is capable of handling commerce related activities with desirable and appropriate skills without having to undergo any additional training or workshop. It is a concerted effort on the part of the faculty to ensure that the skill levels attained by the trainee are well over the above average capabilities required by a student to enable a smooth transition from the learning stage to implementation and conceptual stage.
- Character Formation: A student is fortified extensive counseling towards personalization of genuine religious and moral values necessary for a focused and a balanced mind such that all decisions taken within the ambit of the working environment are logical, accurate and fruitful.
- Social Concern: A student is prepared to operate within a current social environment with a sense of justice, fair approach, target oriented and result oriented. In this the student is made alive to the prevailing social responsibility aspects of the business environment in the country. A student is lead into dovetailing his professional wisdom to that of the social consciousness required for a stable business environment. Developing a practical awareness of the prevailing social conditions and commitment to the cause of social justice.
- From the traditional lecture method to the contemporary classes equipped with computer/internet, a variety of teaching methods are used as per the requirements of the topic and the need of individual students to help them develop the skills they need to become an effective professional. The teaching methods adopted are further clubbed with relevant case discussions or workshops, field visits and role playing.
Beyond the Classroom:
- Various in-house workshops, lectures, conferences and seminars are conducted to provide a practical insight into the commercial environment. These are not only restricted to the professional curriculum but also conducted for overall development of the students as a sound professional.
- In order to widen the scope of the curriculum, a large number of industrial visits are also undertaken so that the student at a later date is mentally fortified and enabled to face the practical and operational side of the industry.
Learning from Leaders:
- A number of guest lectures are conducted where the students had the opportunity to interact directly with the leading luminaries of the corporate and academic world which enabled them to understand how the external environment operates.
- To widen the horizon of education, various seminars are conducted where the students interact first hand with the external agencies to understand not only conceptual but also the application of the subject in the outside world.